Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fred Mundraby taking the next step

Next Sunday 15th May, indigenous boxer, Fred Mundraby(12-0-1-6KO) & his small entourage will board a plane to Tokyo, Japan. Their mission is to bring back with them the OPBF Super Flyweight Title.
On 18th May 2011, Mundraby will take on Japanese boxer Ryo  Akaho(15-0-2-9KO) for the vacant title at Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan. “It’s a great opportunity. I’ve been working hard for this for a long time. My last two wins against two experienced boxers placed me into #2 ranking with the OPBF and I will be fighting #1 ranked boxer for the belt. A win will boost me up in the world rankings and hopefully open up a few doors. I have a great team behind me and we are confident that I will come back with belt.”
Mundraby, who trains under Steve Deller at Fortitude Boxing Gym in Newstead, started boxing when he was 14 after being told he was too small for rugby league. Fred had 57 amateur fights with only nine losses with the Australian Amateur Boxing League (A.A.B.L) winning three Australian & four Queensland titles along the way. He fought Beijing Olympian Paul Flemming nine times in the amateurs winning on six occasions.
As a professional, Mundraby is unbeaten. He moved to Brisbane from his home in North Queensland in early 2010 to box on a full time basis under the tutelage of one of Australia’s best trainers Steve Deller and all the team at Fortitude Boxing. Since then he has defended his Australian bantamweight title and claimed  the vacant Australian super flyweight belt in 2010 with a win over Matt Meridith. “Having my wife and daughter with me in “Brisvagas” has really helped me settle into the big smoke.” Steve Deller & Johnny Burke who Fred describes as his personal Mr Miagi are now playing a huge role in his dream of winning a world title. “They not only helping me with boxing, they are coaching me in life as well and have been a major inspiration to me since I lost my father. I am also getting great support from Brian “The Boss Man” Webb and my sponsors SAMIOS plumbing supplys
When Fred’s not boxing, he is chilling with the family or fishing. “I really just love hanging with my partner Michelle and our beautiful daughter Isabella and going for the odd fish. Besides that, it’s all hard work boxing and getting as fit as I can so I can win a world title.”
Fred hopes his achievements can be used to  encourage other young fighters in the A.A.B.L. “I know how important boxing has been in my life, it’s kept me on the straight and narrow, it’s given me confidence and allowed me to meet many great people, I love what it has given me. I hope that other young boxers will see that with dedication there can be a life in boxing after the amateurs.”
Mundraby has the world at has feet and is taking positive steps towards his dream of emulating the achievements of indigenous boxers Lionel Rose, Anthony Mundine, Robbie Peden and hopefully after this Sunday Daniel Geale by winning a world title.
Watch Fred Mundraby on Youtube
More on Fred Mundraby
Fred Mundraby Facebook
Fred’s Sponsorslivepage.apple.com
This Article written by Andy Dries - DownUnderBoxing.com
Email - downunderboxing@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment